The Country School honors our students’ creativity, sense of wonder, and intellectual curiosity. Our integrated curriculum aligns rigorous academics with a commitment to character and leadership development. We nurture every student’s unique role in the community, empowering each to serve the common good. Graduates of The Country School face the future with confidence and an education that lasts a lifetime.
We live our Mission by:
- Inspiring lifelong learners with a dynamic and rigorous curriculum.
- Celebrating the whole child by emphasizing social and emotional growth through coordinated programs (Responsive Classroom, Advisor Program, Reading Buddies).
- Integrating leadership opportunities that enhance student learning in and beyond the classroom. (Elmore Leadership, Outdoor Education, MacLane Poetry, WTCS and All-School meeting, TEDx, Celebrations of Learning).
- Recognizing the value of service as a learning opportunity and a responsibility we all have to our greater community.
- Providing inclusive artistic and athletic opportunities for every student.
- Developing strong partnerships among students, teachers, parents, families, alumni, and our greater shoreline community.
- Honoring our community traditions and values.
- Facilitating an understanding of the world through deliberate programs and experiences that encourage students to embrace differences, explore new perspectives, and find common ground in a multicultural world. (STEAM, IDEA Day, Global language expo, cultural arts, responsive classroom, service learning, call to care Uganda, Martha’s presentation, trips to Quebec and Spain)
- Utilizing every aspect of our 23-acre country setting to deliver and strengthen our program.
The Mission of The Country School is embodied in the following Core Values, which are lived and felt daily within our community, fostering a positive school culture:
- Kindness - “Be kind” is our guiding principle. We practice empathy by considering different perspectives and making all members of the community feel welcome, included, and respected. Our students look beyond themselves to work collaboratively and serve others.
- Integrity - Our community is built on trust. We prepare students to meet not only academic challenges, but personal and ethical ones as well. As we tell our students, we all must do the right thing, even when no one else is watching.
- Creativity - As we honor creativity, the sense of wonder, and exuberance in childhood, we inspire enthusiasm for learning as an exciting, lifelong activity. We value imagination and diverse ways of thinking.
- Confidence - We teach students that their voices matter. We strive to create an atmosphere of mutual respect where children feel comfortable speaking and acting with vision and conviction.
- Resilience - Knowing that improvement requires a willingness to take risks, persevere, and learn from mistakes, we encourage and support students as they stretch their limits both in and out of the classroom. Through appropriate challenges and reflection, our students learn that adversity offers opportunities for growth.
Our three simple rules that we know children will be able to memorize and easily recite.
1. Be kind to others.
2. Respect everyone’s right to learn.
3. Take responsibility for yourself and your world.