By Kerri Kelly and Brett Merrill, 5th Grade Teachers
Living a writer’s life is not as easy to do as one may think. With the proper ingredients, easy-to-follow directions, lots of effort and dashes of practice, the final result will eventually be a draft that is delectable and worth sharing with all. After all, everyone loves sharing a good recipe!
- A place to live like a writer all day long (a writer’s notebook, not a diary or a journal)
- Pencil (does not need to be fancy but special)
- Plenty of time to write
- Select and carry a writer’s notebook all the time..
- Keep a running list of writing ideas (i.e quotes, sketches, songs, headlines, observations, questions, wonderings, passions, etc.)
- Use ideas as “seeds” for writing LONG and for a variety of purposes.
- Mantra: “If you can say it, you can write it.” Write in the air to a partner i.e. verbally share with a partner a taste of what you want to write.
- Then WRITE, WRITE, WRITE! every day!
- ENJOY the delicious results.